Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Cross-cultural Communications Conference

This past Saturday, I had the honor of presenting at the Baobab People conference on cross-cultural communication.  It was a first in many ways for me.  First time using Prezi, first time giving a presentation on "race" and anti-racism, and the first time I spoke in front of people and nearly passed out.   This is only of interest if I tell you that I used ham it up in front of audiences in plays and musicals, choir concerts, and improvisation.  However, I think this took it up to the next level.  My brother who is a Marine tells me that in public speaking, the body responds as if it is in combat.  Which would explain the lack of breathing and the red splotches that appeared on my face and neck by the end.  Sorry, no pictures.

Overall, the conference was wonderful.  Everyone had questions, learned something new, met someone they would not have ordinarily met.  I was so grateful to be in this company of people committed to cross-cultural communication.  Who knows where these relationships will lead us in the future.

For those of you who couldn't make it to the conference, I am linking my Prezi on Social Constructions of Whiteness.   We forgot to record it, but perhaps that is for the best if I was hyperventilating at the time.  Who knows how shrill my voice got, and nobody wants to listen to that.  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind. This blog should promote healthy dialogue.